Effective use of energy and water resources
Energy consumption is the main reason behind climate change because the burning of non-renewable fuel produces greenhouse gases (GHGs) and other environmental aspects as well. Energy efficiency is critical to mitigating climate change and we will continue to refine our production processes while reducing the consumption of energy. We are also monitoring our annual water consumption by collecting data on water resource consumption.
Greenhouse gas inventory and reduction
To fulfill our commitment to environmental protection, Lanner has set the reduction of GHG emissions as the goal for long-term improvement projects. We hope that GHG emissions can gradually go down each year compared to the previous year. In other words, the GHG emission intensity (GHG/energy/revenue) must be reduced by 3% compared to the previous year.
Lanner uses the electricity emission coefficient to calculate the CO2 equivalent emissions. Self-inventories are conducted on a regular basis. The inventory outcomes from the past two years are as follow:
- Emissions calculated from the 2015 self-inventory is equivalent to 0.576kg/1000 NTD of turnover.
- Emissions calculated from the 2016 self-inventory is equivalent to 0.553kg/1000 NTD of turnover.
- In 2016, emissions was reduced by 4% compared to 2015.
2017 greenhouse gas reduction performance
In 2017, the air-conditioning energy-saving equipment was re-designed. The independent chilled water outlets of the chiller units for that floor were re-designed to use a common conduit instead. The change achieved the following energy-efficiencies:
- After the modification, the pumps and compressors in the chiller unit were started 50% less often.
- Testing found that the chiller unit's compressor had a starting current of 17A including 3A for starting the pump.
- Before modification: C7 chiller unit's compressor start rate was 62%
- After modification: C7 chiller unit's compressor start rate was 44%
- After the design change, even if one chiller unit malfunctioned the office space remained air-conditioned.
- After the design change, chiller units could be replaced more quickly.
- Cost recovery was 4 years and 4 months based on $300,000/$5,731 = 53 months = 4 years 4 months.
The chilled water outlets of the chiller units were changed to a common conduit to improve energy efficiency.
Other greenhouse gas reduction initiatives
In addition to the re-design and modification of air-conditioning energy-saving equipment, we have long worked to promote GHG reduction and energy-saving/ carbon reduction projects in order to make a contribution on climate change.
- All employees are reminded to save energy by unplugging office equipment if they won't be used for an extended amount of time, to turn off the lights and airconditioning when leaving the office, and to make sure the taps are closed properly after using water resources before leaving.
- We promote the use of electronic forms and processes to reduce paper consumption.
- The office AC is set to an appropriate temperature and undergoes routine maintenance to improve AC efficiency and reduce power consumption.
- Office photocopiers are regularly maintained by contractors to ensure optimal photocopying performance, prevent paper jams and avoid wasted power.
- An environmental safety and health management system has been put into place based on the ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 international standards. The system effectively manages all negative environmental impacts from raw materials, production processes, products, activities, facilities, services and waste disposal. The system also manages potential risks to personnel and equipment assets. Corrective action can be taken on non-complying matters to improve overall safety and health performance as well as engage in continuous improvement.
Reductions in product energy requirements
Introduction of 80 Plus power supply for the high-performance modular SDN/NFC network application platform (e.g. NCA-6210 or FW-8896). The Delta Electronics DPS-800AB 800W module is rated for 396W when the system is running at full speed. Use of the Delta 800W power supply increases conversion efficiency by 2.92% and reduces power consumption by 15.81W.
Desktop product (ex. FW-7551) upgraded from DOE Level 5 Power Adaptor to DOE Level 6 Power Adaptor. For a 36W Adapter this increases rated efficiency by 6.15% and reduces power consumption by 2.214W. Efficiency Test gives an increase of 2% and reduces power consumption by 0.72W.
NCA-1210 consumes 0.28W at idle and 0.96W at full speed. Support for smart fan control can therefore cut power consumption by 0.68W.
Responsible waste disposal
We do everything we can to prevent equipment being thrown away or disposed of as landfill. The precious resources in these items can then be reused. We must also ensure that the equipment is recycled in an appropriate manner that does not pose a threat to the health of workers or the environment. To this end, Lanner launched a series of recycling activities and categories. The results of our efforts during this reporting period are shown below. 9.1 tonnes of hazardous waste and 3,205 tonnes of general waste in 2017. There were no significant spills or non-compliance with environmental laws and regulations during the reporting period.
An operator on the lead-free PCBA assembly line places empty solder paste bottle at the designated location in accordance with the waste disposal SOP.
Ventilation pipes have been installed over the SMT production line as part of our air pollution management measures. Waste emissions from the production process are collected and filtered before discharge.