The incoming 5G technology era will bring both speed and convenience. While there are many benefits, behind the scenes, 5G infrastructure is complicated. It requires substantially more network automation than previous technologies. That automation depends on having a real-time view of network resources enabled by intelligent algorithms that measure the performance of available resources to determine service path computation, in addition to smart network control methods.
Where some 5G networks may be built from the ground up, most carriers will transition from 3G/4G networks to the new technologies by adding on to their existing networks rather than starting from scratch. One component for doing this is Segment Routing, a technology promoted by Cisco to provide both a flexible and scalable method of source routing. This is essential for deploying large-scale Software Defined Networks (SDN) for 5G, mainly to ensure Quality of Service (QoS) for 4K and 8K streaming IP video.
Lanner has joined forces with a leading vendor Noviflow to provide high-performance security network fabric and programmable network solutions for SDNs. To enable segment routing over IPv6 (SRv6)/Sr-MPLS that provides packet processing fulfillment and load balancing, the carrier-grade routers requires the following features:
- NEBS compliant carrier-grade hardware design
- Ultra-high computing performance with high core count for virtualization
- SR-IOV into the computing blade VNFs for maximum throughput
- P4 programmable switch fabric, supporting terabit per second throughput capacity at each SRv6 network services proxy
- Scalable Architecture – Collapse multiple appliances on a scalable network for both computing and applications
- Converged hardware platform – computing, programmable switch, storage, all in a one-box solution.
- Ultra-High Availability – The joint solution is designed to be resilient with multiple redundancies in the hardware platform, including an N+1 redundant PSU, switch blades for redundancy, and hot-swappable storage bays.
Lanner’s solution for this is our HTCA-6600 Series carrier-grade network appliance. Optimized for simple, scalable, and secure services at the network edge, it is a whitebox hardware platform that aggregates up to twelve 2nd-generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors. In addition, it integrates two HLM-1100 high-speed P4-programmable Tofino switching ASICs, and has massive configurable storage capability, providing an all-in-one modular network appliance.
Source: Noviflow SRv6 https://noviflow.com/srv6/
Integrated with HTCA-6600 series edge cloud network appliance, NoviFlow’s CyberMapper delivers high throughput and dynamically scalable network services into the Terabit/s range while reducing total customer network CAPEX and OPEX. By integrating SRv6 capability into CyberMapper, the solution efficiently addresses even the largest deployments and enables cost-effective dynamic scaling to right-size capacity for the most highly variable demands.
- Converged MEC Appliance Reduces Total Cost of Ownership on Edge Cloud Infrastructure
- Boosting and Sustaining Long-Term MEC Architecture Performance with Protocol-Independent, Programmable Switch Hardware
High Availability Chassis 6U Telecom Network Appliance with 6 x86 CPU Blades and 6 I/O Blades
|Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family
|Intel C621/C627 Chipset