A CDN (Content Delivery Network) is a system of geographically distributed servers that aim to decentralize cloud computing and attempt to bring more resources closer to the end-user. CDN improves the geographical presence of service and delivers faster website content, from videos, images, scripts, HTML files, etc.The CDN provides an acceptable level of video streaming quality. It overcomes those Internet issues, like jitter, delay, lag, high latencies, and delivers content to the end-user.
However, the traditional CDN is not workload-optimized and cannot be tailored for specific services, such as media transcoding, analytics, immersive media, etc. The next generation, cloud-based visual contents, such as AR/VR, online gaming, 4K/8K video streaming, require high computational workloads at the network edge for seamless media processing like compression, enhancement, and transcoding.
The distributed MEC servers can help offload a big chunk of the computational burden at the network edge. By bring visual computing capabilities closer to the end-user, the consumer benefits from highly available visual content, and the service provider gains the benefits of edge cloud infrastructure with low latency, scalable edge cloud infrastructure.
Benefits of the new visual CDN solution:
• Makes content available with low delay and jitter as it locates closer to the end-user. It also uses fewer network resources such as replication servers.
• Decentralization of media processing, application execution, and caching.
• Improve QoS and QoE for customers as multimedia delivery and latency are optimized. The requested content is stored (cached) and processed closer to the end-user.
The Lanner NCA-6210 reduces latency for visual content delivery and optimizes workloads and pre-processes media content coming from a media content server, usually deployed on the cloud. The scalable, virtualization optimized MEC servers NCA-6210 can be deployed in the CORD to perform CDN workloads such as cryptography, data compression, transcoding, and caching. NCA-6210 is equipped with the following features to make it the best-in-class video transport gateway:
- High-Density Video Transcoding: Dual Second Generation Intel Xeon Scalable Processors with up to 2.3 GHz high frequency and Intel AVX-512 instruction to optimize video transcoding workloads
- HEVC/H.265 Ready: Modular acceleration cards powered by Intel Xeon E3 Processor efficiently offload CPU in handling real-time encoding of HEVC video streaming. Lanner video transcoding accelerating modules include the NCS2-NV02 powered by dual NVIDIA Jetson® TX2, and NCS2-VT03 powered by Intel® Skylake-H CPU.
- Media-over-IP Conversion: Customizable I/O modules support video transcoding over IP from diverse video interfaces, such as 8VSB, QAM, and ASI, to RJ-45 or fiber port at 10/25/40/100GbE speed.
- 24/7 High Availability: To ensure 24/7 uptimes, full-redundancy design such as redundant power, hot-swappable fan and advanced LAN bypass is essential to video transcoding
Intel® Select Solutions for Visual Cloud Delivery Network
NCA-6210 is also the first network appliance from Lanner selected for verification as an Intel Select Solution for Visual CDN. Powered by the dual 2nd generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and Intel® Optane™ DC persistent memory, Lanner and Intel have collaborated to integrate Intel® Media SDK on NCA-6210, allowing the access to Intel® Quick Sync Video hardware-accelerated encoding, decoding and processing. The software and hardware integration optimize critical cloud workloads by enabling robust, high-performance video transcoding and analytics while reducing the latency for immersive media enhancement, targeting at AR/VR applications.
- Converged MEC Appliance Reduces Total Cost of Ownership on Edge Cloud Infrastructure
- Boosting and Sustaining Long-Term MEC Architecture Performance with Protocol-Independent, Programmable Switch Hardware
- Delivering 5G Low-Latency Applications at the Edge with Scalable MEC Platforms
High Performance Network Appliance for Network Security and Virtualization
|2nd Gen Intel® Xeon® Processor Scalable Family (Cascade Lake)
NCS2 Form Factor Edge AI Accelerating Module with NVIDIA Jetson® TX2 Processors
|NVIDIA Jetson® TX2
NCS2 Form Factor Video Transcoding Module with Intel® Skylake-H CPU and Intel® C236 Chipset